(Photo by Elle Starkman, PPPL Office of Communications, and ITER)
PPPL physicist Fatima Ebrahimi in front of an artist’s conception of a fusion rocket
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Exploration Highlights” style=”rounded” url=”http://” target=”_self” bg_color=”#0000FF” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”0″]
- A new type of rocket thruster could take humankind to Mars and beyond
- The device would apply magnetic fields to cause particles of plasma,, electrically charged gas also known as the fourth state of matter, to shoot out the back of a rocket and, because of the conservation of momentum, propel the craft forward.
- The new concept would accelerate the particles using magnetic reconnection, a process found throughout the universe, including the surface of the sun, in which magnetic field lines converge, suddenly separate, and then join together again, producing lots of energy. Reconnection also occurs inside doughnut-shaped fusion devices known as tokamaks.
- The new plasma thruster concept can generate exhaust with velocities of hundreds of kilometers per second, 10 times faster than those of other thrusters.
- That faster velocity at the beginning of a spacecraft’s journey could bring the outer planets within reach of astronauts.
- “By using more electromagnets and more magnetic fields, you can in effect turn a knob to fine-tune the velocity,” Ebrahimi said.
- “This work was inspired by past fusion work and this is the first time that plasmoids and reconnection have been proposed for space propulsion,” Ebrahimi said.
More from: Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory on Innovation2
Go deeper with the LATEST Bing News on:
- Jeff Bezos’s Space Flight Company To Design Nuclear-Powered Rocket For Pentagonon April 13, 2021 at 8:41 am
PA Images Lockheed Martin was also awarded a $2.9 million contract to design a craft for the Demonstration Rocket for Agile Cislunar Operations ... to ‘use a nuclear thermal propulsion system to power ...
- China successfully tests liquid oxygen-methane rocket engineon April 12, 2021 at 9:28 pm
China has successfully tested a 10-tonne thrust liquid oxygen-methane engine, according to its developer. The engine, named TQ, was independently developed by the private rocket company LandSpace , ...
- DARPA awards contracts for major spacecraft nuclear propulsion systemon April 12, 2021 at 7:58 pm
DARPA has announced the recipients of its phase-one Demonstration Rocket for Agile Cislunar Operations (DRACO) contracts, an initiative that paves the way for future nuclear thermal propulsion ...
- A Look Back: Recoverable rocket boosters — A future that never wason April 12, 2021 at 3:00 pm
The idea of making flight into space as routine as atmospheric flight has been around since the 1930s when Eugen Sänger first published detailed information about his ideas for a suborbital, winged ...
- World’s Most Powerful Hydrogen-Fueled Rocket Engine Completes Final Acceptance Test for ULA ...on April 12, 2021 at 1:32 pm
Today, the world’s most powerful hydrogen-fueled rocket engine built by Aerojet Rocketdyne, the RS-68A, completed its final hot-fire acceptance test for use on the United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta ...
- World’s Most Powerful Hydrogen-Fueled Rocket Engine Completes Final Acceptance Test for ULA Delta IV Heavy Launch Vehicleon April 12, 2021 at 1:32 pm
Aerojet Rocketdyne’s RS-68A rocket engine successfully completed its final acceptance test April 12, 2021, on the B-1 test stand at NASA’s Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. The RS-68A powers the ...
- The High-Powered Thrusters Behind NASA's Mission to Psycheon April 9, 2021 at 10:39 am
Hall thrusters have been used in satellites for years. Now, they'll play a crucial role in reaching a metallic asteroid called Psyche.
- In a comprehensive new test, the EmDrive fails to generate any thruston April 7, 2021 at 4:44 am
The EmDrive is a hypothetical rocket that proponents claim can generate thrust with no exhaust. This would violate all known physics. In 2016, a team at NASA's Eagleworks lab claimed to measure thrust ...
- NASA’s most metal mission will test new, higher-power electric thrusterson April 6, 2021 at 5:28 am
This will be the first time a spacecraft has ventured into deep space using Hall thrusters, and absent this technology, the Psyche mission probably wouldn't be happening—certainly not at its cost of ...
- Rocket Propulsion Market to Register 6 USD Million by 2027on April 6, 2021 at 1:58 am
Rocket Propulsion market report leverages expert verbatim to provide insights about the Covid-19 impact on the overall revenue and growth matrix of the business over 2020-2027. The latest business ...
Go deeper with the LATEST Bing News on:
- Barron'son April 13, 2021 at 8:09 am
All the companies except one will trade on the Nasdaq. The lone listing on the New York Stock Exchange is Agilon Health.
- U.S. Threat Assessment Reporton April 13, 2021 at 3:49 am
The PLA Rocket Force's highly accurate short-, medium-, and intermediate ... including technology transfers and intelligence gathering through a Military-Civil Fusion Policy and a National ...
- Lost punk record from Duff McKagan, Mother Love Bone drummer surfaces after nearly 40 yearson April 12, 2021 at 6:00 am
The Living featured a teenage Duff McKagan, three years before he joined Guns N' Roses, and Mother Love Bone drummer Greg Gilmore. After nearly 40 years, their lone record is being released through ...
- Hologic inks its largest COVID-powered acquisition yet with $795M for test maker Mobidiagon April 8, 2021 at 6:50 am
After reaping a windfall from COVID-19 diagnostic demand, Hologic’s spending spree continues with its largest acquisition yet: It’s claimed Mobidiag, the Finnish-French molecular test maker, with a ...
- SCAD GamingFest brings Epic Games, Bungie and leaders of the industry to virtual festivalon April 7, 2021 at 4:00 am
GameFest will offer an inside look into the creation of its most ambitious game project with the presentation, “The Making of Zoelie.” ...
- ‘Impossible’ EmDrive Actually Is Impossible, Comprehensive Test Showson April 6, 2021 at 4:03 am
The hypothetical EmDrive rocket engine threatened to upend what we knew about physics... if it worked. After the latest round of testing, we can say with a high degree of certainty that it doesn't.
- Guangzhou moves to establish Chinese commercial space clusteron April 6, 2021 at 3:50 am
Privately-funded rocket and small satellite companies have ... frameworks and initiatives while a military-civil fusion national strategy facilitates technology transfers. Provinces and local ...
- Man killed in plane crash in Colorado foothillson April 4, 2021 at 7:14 pm
The plane was identified as a single-engine Magnus Fusion 212, a type of sport aircraft. The crash was in the area of the Lost Creek Wilderness, a 120,000-acre expanse of forest and large, dome-shaped ...
- Converse PD: Man previously reported missing dead from gunshot woundon April 3, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Police transmissions on Broadcastify, a service that rebroadcasts official radio communications, indicate that officers saw a wanted blue Ford Fusion traveling on Rocket Lane, near Judson Middle ...
- The Seed 25: The best female early-stage investorson April 3, 2021 at 5:16 am
Insider's list of the best female seed investors showcases the dealmakers with a history of great returns and is powered by data from Tribe Capital.