Long, thin, well-defined muscle fibers (top left) are in shambles after prolonged inflammation (top right), but maintain their structure (bottom left) and strength (bottom right) when exercised during the inflammation.
[mks_button size=”medium” title=”Exploration Highlights” style=”rounded” url=”http://” target=”_self” bg_color=”#0000FF” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”0″]
- Biomedical engineers at Duke University have demonstrated that human muscle has an innate ability to ward off the damaging effects of chronic inflammation when exercised.
- “We discovered that the muscle cells were capable of taking anti-inflammatory actions all on their own.”
- “We know that chronic inflammatory diseases induce muscle atrophy, but we wanted to see if the same thing would happen to our engineered human muscles grown in a Petri dish,” said Zhaowei Chen.
- “Not only did we confirm that interferon gamma primarily works through a specific signaling pathway, we showed that exercising muscle cells can directly counter this pro-inflammatory signaling independent of the presence of other cell types or tissues.”
- They then showed that simulated exercise inhibited a specific molecular pathway in muscle cells, and that two drugs used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, tofacitinib and baricitinib, which block the same pathway, had the same anti-inflammatory effect.
- “When exercising, the muscle cells themselves were directly opposing the pro-inflammatory signal induced by interferon gamma, which we did not expect to happen,” said Bursac. “These results show just how valuable lab-grown human muscles might be in discovering new mechanisms of disease and potential treatments.
Original Article: Exercising Muscle Combats Chronic Inflammation On Its Own
More from: Duke University on Innovation2
Go deeper with the LATEST Bing News on:
- Borussia Dortmund suffer major fitness blow ahead of Man City clashon April 13, 2021 at 8:52 am
We would like to have him with us tomorrow but we have to take our time with him so he's not an option." Sancho has been nursing a muscle injury since the start of March and has recently returned to ...
- This bestselling massage pillow helps relieve muscle tension and back pain and is on sale on Amazonon April 13, 2021 at 8:32 am
With over 4,000 rave five-star reviews, the MaxKare massage pillow is a hugely popular buy with those that suffer from aches and pains. It even has a heated option to soothe tired limbs. It's now just ...
- Katie Price splashes out £3k on hi-tech exercise bike in a desperate attempt to help 27st Harvey lose TEN stoneon April 13, 2021 at 8:27 am
KATIE Price has splashed out £3,000 on a hi-tech exercise bike to help her son Harvey lose TEN stone. Katie, 42, wants Harvey, 18, to cycle his way to a slimmer body as he currently weighs a ...
- Mix up your exercise routine and see big resultson April 13, 2021 at 8:27 am
Bored with your workout routine? Troy Moore from the Wellness and Recreation Center shares simple tips on how to spruce up your workout.
- How to Customize a Fitness Routine for Youon April 13, 2021 at 6:08 am
In addition, at least two days per week should involve muscle-strengthening activities, such as weights or push-ups. “This past year has been a struggle for all of us, but sticking to a fitness plan ...
- This Dallas fitness trainer hated being thin – so she put on muscleon April 13, 2021 at 2:04 am
Growing up as an aspiring model, she says she would face pressure to be thin and as a result developed unhealthy eating and exercise habits. YouTube channel Truly followed Morgan as part of their ...
- Exercise could be used to improve the oral environment in people with NAFLDon April 12, 2021 at 6:40 pm
Liver disease, from metabolic and bacterial causes, is a growing concern. What connects these dots? The gut, or more specifically, bacteria in the gut.
- Exercise promotes healthy living and a healthy liveron April 12, 2021 at 4:42 am
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common liver disorder worldwide, affecting as much as a quarter of humanity. It is characterized by fat accumulation in liver cells and may ...
- Electrolytes in water found to prevent muscle cramping after exerciseon April 9, 2021 at 9:30 pm
Drinking electrolytes instead of water during and after exercising is the best way to prevent muscle cramps, researchers have said. A team from the Edith Cowan University (ECU) in Australia have found ...
- Neuromuscular fatigue and recovery after strenuous exercise depends on skeletal muscle size and stem cell characteristicson April 8, 2021 at 10:08 am
indicating that stem cells of the non-contractile muscle tissue might positively affect the response to muscle damaging exercise. A visual summary of the main findings of this manuscript are depicted ...
Go deeper with the LATEST Bing News on:
- EpiEndo Pharmaceuticals Announces Launch of First-in-Human Clinical Trial of a Non-Antibiotic Macrolide for the Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Airway Diseaseson April 13, 2021 at 3:00 am
EpiEndo Pharma Announces First-in-Human Clinical Trial of EpiEndo’s Lead Compound, EP395, for Chronic Inflammatory Airway Diseases ...
- UK Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Market Share 2019: Trends, Key Players, Industry Analysis and Report 2019-2025on April 12, 2021 at 2:28 am
IBD is one of the key chronic inflammatory digestive diseases prevalent in the country. The disease is caused by a number of factors including the changing lifestyle of the population, the prevalence ...
- Chronic Viral Infections Can Have Profound Lasting Effects on Human Immunity, Similar to Agingon April 11, 2021 at 7:24 am
Researchers identify signatures of immune dysfunction that are shared in aging and chronic viral infections of HIV and Hepatitis C. Research from the Buck Institute and Stanford University suggests th ...
- Why inflammation warrants attentionon April 10, 2021 at 11:33 pm
On a basic level, most of it is considered either acute or chronic. When inflammation is responding to an injury or intruder – such as bacteria, viruses or a splinter – it’s acute. The immune system ...
- Anti-Inflammatory Meal Plan for Beginnerson April 8, 2021 at 11:38 am
The goal of this healthy diet is to reduce chronic inflammation in our body, which is linked to conditions like heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers. The anti-inflammatory diet is very ...
- Type 1 interferon mediates chronic stress-induced neuroinflammation and behavioral deficits via complement component 3-dependent pathwayon April 8, 2021 at 2:30 am
Chronic stress is a major risk factor in the pathophysiology of many neuropsychiatric disorders. Further, chronic stress conditions can promote neuroinflammation and inflammatory responses in both ...
- Can diet help with inflammatory bowel disease?on April 7, 2021 at 1:11 pm
More than 6.8 million people worldwide are estimated to be living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBD is believed to be the result of a malfunctioning immune system, which results in an ...
- Living with a Chronic Viral Infection Could Age Your Immune Systemon April 6, 2021 at 8:00 am
A new study suggests chronic viral infections can diminish the effectiveness of the immune system in ways similar to aging.
- Immunological memory in rheumatic inflammation — a roadblock to tolerance inductionon April 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Pathogenic, long-lived memory cells of the immune system present a barrier to resolution of chronic inflammatory rheumatic diseases. Approaches to selectively eliminate these cells while sparing ...
- Why anti-inflammatory diets are great for overall health and a 7-day meal plan to get startedon April 3, 2021 at 8:31 pm
Anti-inflammatory foods include whole grains, leafy greens, and fatty fish. Here's a 7-day meal plan packed full of meal ideas you can try at home.